Samsung Galaxy S4: How to Customize the Bottom Shortcuts in the Home Screen

The common method used by the Samsung Galaxy SIV user to speed up their way to access certain app is by adding the shortcut of that app to the Home screen. That's might be the explanation why the Google Play Store has the default settings to add the newly installed app shortcut to the Home screen--if there's an available room--. You're also free to remove the unused app shortcuts in the Home screen or the one that you don't want to be there, allows you to control which app shortcuts you wish to reside on your Home screen.

See also: How to Add or Remove Apps or Widgets to the Samsung Galaxy S4 Home Screen

While you on the Home screen, you would see the five favourite app shortcuts in the bottom. By default, they are likely the Phone, Contacts, Messaging, Internet and Apps which are the most frequently used apps by most of the users. But, if that default doesn't fit with your needs, then you can easily customize them by adding, removing or changing one of them or more to suit your needs.



How to add, remove or change the favourite shortcuts on Home screen?
You can do so by following the steps listed below:
  1. To add shortcut to the bottom shortcuts list:
    • In order to allow you to add app shortcut to the bottom shortcuts, then the apps should be available in the Home screen. If not, first you need to add the app to the Home screen. If you don't know how to do so, you can see the complete steps in the link mentioned above
    • Add the app shortcut to the bottom shortcuts by tapping and holding the app on your Home screen then drag it to available space in the bottom shortcuts list.
    • Release to placed it.
  2. To remove shortcut from the bottom shortcuts list:
    • Tap and hold the bottom shortcut you wish to remove.
    • If you want the shortcut still remain in the Home screen, drag it to the available space in one of the Home screen and then release to placed it.
    • If you want the shortcut no longer displayed in the Home screen, drag it to the Trash can icon located at the top of the screen and then release to delete it.
  3. To change the shortcut in the bottom shortcuts list:
  4. There two methods that you can choose to change the bottom shortcuts. They are:
    • Remove the bottom shortcut first (see in the step #2) and then add the new shortcut to the bottom shortcuts (see in the step #1).
    • Tap and hold the apps in the Home screen and then drag it to the one of existing bottom shortcut. Release to exchange their position.

Given to the main purpose of the bottom or favourite shortcuts in the Home screen is to speed up the way you access those five apps, then it will be more useful if you place your most favourite apps or your most frequently used apps in there. So, hope this helps :)

17 comments:

  1. This does not work with the Galaxy S4. I have tried multiple times and none of the 5 icons can be moved. I've also went into the Lock Screen under My Device and there is no Shortcuts option with the S4.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jonathan Beach,
      Thanks for coming.
      I've tested these steps on my Samsung Galaxy S4 GT-I9500 with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and Android 4.4 Kitkat, and it worked.
      FYI, the Shortcut option only available if you select Swipe as your screen lock method.

      Delete
  2. This doesn't work on mine either gt-19505 telstra locked (Australian carrier)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kurt Palmer.
      I'm so sorry if it didn't work on you.
      I've just read in Androidcentral forum, some Galaxy S4 users in Australia(most of them are GT-I9505 users) confirmed that the default primary shortcut in the Home screen in their phones can't be moved.
      Other way, you can try to use another launcher that will allow you to change the bottom shortcut, for instance: Nova launcher.

      Delete
    2. This works on the s3 but not the s4. Certainly not on phones sold in Australia anyway.

      Delete
    3. Hi Joey,
      Thanks for coming.
      I've tried this step using GT-I9500 (with Android 4.3 Jelly Bean and 4.4.2 Kitkat) thus it may not work in other model.

      Delete
  3. Does anyone know how to move the bottom box of apps to the bottom of the screen of it got moved up? I now have them covering my other apps somehow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      Thanks for coming.
      If you don't mind, can you please send me a screenshot where the bottom apps covering your other apps? You can send it to:rehanp2001@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Sorry, but I've since gotten this corrected. At the suggestion of the Samsung rep on a web chat, I did a soft reset (pulled the battery for 30 seconds) and this returned the tray to the bottom of the screen.

      Delete
    3. I'm happy to know that your issue finally can be solved :)

      Delete
  4. How do you move the position of the favorites shortcuts of they are no longer on the screen. on the bottom? The whole set of shortcuts is now in the middle and covers some other apps.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sharon,
      I'm wondering how the bottom apps can be set in the middle of the screen. I want to see this so that I can suggest you with the right solution. So, if you don't mind, please send me a screenshot of it to the email address that I mentioned in my previous reply.

      Delete
    2. Restart and it should be right back on the bottom. Did this with my wife's galaxy S4 and had no problem. Our baby moved them so i have no idea how.

      Delete
  5. Thanks Douglas, this issue was fixed with a reset (please see my Dec 7 post), but thanks for the suggestion. I still don't know how I moved them to the middle either!

    ReplyDelete
  6. hi i have a galaxy s4.
    I could not access to any of the bottom icons.
    It looks like the 'Apps' icon is on top of all the icons
    at the bottom and it is the only icon i can access at the bottom bar. So how can I get rid of the 'Apps' icon.
    I tried to remove by holding it but could not.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kenneth Kwan,
      Thanks for coming.
      If you don't mind, please send me a screenshot of your home screen.
      You can send it to: rehanp2001@gmail.com

      Delete
  7. Hi, Im also trying to move the icons on the bottom but they wont budge. S4 GT 19507. I'm in Australia. The phone is for my 7 year old for play aps. I really want to get rid of the internet search (as the others wont work anyway - no sim card) is there any way to do this? Alternately is there any way to put restrictions on internet searches on the device?

    ReplyDelete

Hi the insiders,
Thanks for coming and I hope you can get something useful here.
Before submitting your comment to ask about an issue, please make sure to provide information as much as possible (at least write your model number and Android version) and describe the problem clearly.
Also, since all comments will be moderated, all comments with irrelevant links(if any) or contain with offensive/harsh word will be deleted.
The last, if you have a question and can't find the relevant article, please feel free to reach me through the Contact us page. I'll be more than happy to reply the email and answer the question :)