Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge: How to Use Priority Senders Feature in Messages App in Android 6.0.1 Marshmallow

If you usually use your Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge to communicate with a lot of people using messages, it may be time consuming for you to find a conversation from a specific contact in the Messages app. Fortunately, this app has a feature named priority senders that you can use to place your favourite or important contacts at the top of the conversation list so you can easily reach them whenever you need.


How to add contacts to the priority senders list in the Messages app?
You can do so by using the following steps:
  1. Open the Messages app.
  2. Tap More at the top right and then select Add priority senders(this option will be available if you have not added any contact to the list yet).
  3. Tap Enter number to enter the phone number manually, or tap Contacts to pick up the required contacts from your contacts list. As the example, we'll select Contacts.
  4. Select the required contacts you want to add to the priority senders list and then tap Done button.
  5. The selected contacts have been added to the priority senders list.
  6. To add more contacts to the priority senders list, tap in the list and then follow the on-screen instructions.


How to edit the priority senders list in the Messages app?
If needed, you can remove and rearrange contacts in the priority senders list by using the following steps:
  1. Open the Messages app.
  2. Tap More at the top right and then select Edit priority senders.
  3. To remove contacts from the priority senders list, tap the required contacts you want to remove from the list.
  4. To change the order of the contacts in the list, drag and drop the required contact. 
  5. Tap Done button to save the changes.


How to use the priority senders feature in the Messages app?
You can do so by using the following steps:
  1. Open the Messages app.
  2. Tap the required contact icon in the priority senders list to open your conversation with the selected contact and then do the required action, e.g., send a message, read a message, forward a message, etc.

8 comments:

  1. I love my Samsung S7 edge, but, I seem to have tried everything however, Priority Senders doesn't work. It only works when I have both priority and my own email address turned on. I have too much junk to get an alert from every other email I receive. I have tried again and again but it doesn't work, ie. I do not receive a notification in the notifcation bar. I have to phsyically open my emails. What is wrong do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. On my Note 4, priority senders texts would generate a verbal notification that received text from priority senders but can't get it on s7 edge or i just can't figure out how to. Bummer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carole Taylor LVN,
      Thanks for coming here.
      Sadly to say that the notification readout feature that can be found in Galaxy S5 or Note 4 is not available in the Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

      Delete
  3. Well, crap. Lol, thanks for info. I'll quit trying to figure it out now!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. When I go to messages there is no "more" option... there is 3dots stacked. When I click on that my options that come up are "edit", "mark all as read", "locked messages", "settings", and "help" there is no option to add priority senders. What am I missing? I am trying to set it up so that emails from specific people come immediately to my phone and not only when my phone died the pull every 15 min. There are some emails I have to receive immediately. Someone help me PLEASE!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Phatgirl,
      Thanks for coming here.
      First, may I know your phone model number?
      FYI, this post was written based on Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge. Thus, you may need to take a slightly different steps to do the same thing in other Galaxy S series.
      If you don't mind, you can send me a screenshot of that screen to: rehanp2001@gmail.com

      Delete
    2. Sent screen shots as well as model number. My phone is the galaxy s7 edge.

      Delete
    3. If your phone is now running with Android Nougat, the priority senders feature is no longer available in the Samsung/default Messages app(I notice it in my Galaxy S8 Edge which is running with Android Nougat). However, you can try to use Pin to top feature, which I think it has the similar function with the priority senders feature.
      You can try the following steps to find this feature:
      1. Open the Samsung/default Messages app.
      2. Open the required conversation you want to pin at the top of the conversations list.
      3. Tap the three horizontal line icon at the top right and then tap "Pin to top" to pin the selected conversation at the top of the list.

      Delete

Hi the insiders,
Thanks for coming and I hope you can get something useful here.
Before submitting your comment to ask about an issue, please make sure to provide information as much as possible (at least write your model number and Android version) and describe the problem clearly.
Also, since all comments will be moderated, all comments with irrelevant links(if any) or contain with offensive/harsh word will be deleted.
The last, if you have a question and can't find the relevant article, please feel free to reach me through the Contact us page. I'll be more than happy to reply the email and answer the question :)